Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Iced Coffee

So. One of the things I was warned about when I arrived was Iced Coffee in Australia. As all of you Yanks know, iced coffee is a delicious way to get your caffeine without sweating.

Exhibit A:


Of course this became more relevant in the Seattle summers working in an non-air conditioned warehouse in South Seattle..but I digress.

Seeing as Australia is hot most of the year, I was sure they would be Kings of chilled Coffee. But. But if you order an iced coffee here you get a smidge of coffee, ice cream, and milk. It's more like a root beer float.

Exhibit B:


At first I was offended. And saddened. It didn't give me a caffeine fix...it was dessert that all Australia cafes served.

But now, it's 3pm on a Tuesday afternoon. I just made some french press. And instead of milk, I added ice cream. Totally guilt free. Because I am immersing myself in Australian culture...that's what this year is about, right?

1 comment:

  1. When my friend and I were in Spain, it was boiling hot and she ordered an iced coffee - what she got was hot coffee with a few sad lumps of ice cubes in it that quickly melted into a sea of now still-warm-and-kind-of-watery coffee. Then we found a starbucks, and my friend was happy.
    ps: for christmas, someone got me a J&D's ultimate bacon lover's gift package. Made me think of you and David!

    ReplyDelete