Thursday, October 29, 2009

Funky Curry Apartment

Alright. I can't believe it, but David and I spent our first night in the apartment! It's been a really interesting experience getting a home here in Aus..they basically leave everything to you to figure out.

Fridges and washers are not included in your apartments. It's byo. This caused for a comical fridge move.. David wheeling a second hand refrigerator across the bridge and to our apartment. That's a whole other post though. It was too funny.

But what wasn't funny? Our sick apartment. We got the keys last Thursday, and we were promised the place was professionally cleaned. Professionally cleaned must mean throw a party and then RUN from your apartment. Needless to say, I cried when I saw the place.

Then, positivity kicked in (and David's good words) and we got to work scrubbing the curry smell out of the walls, mopping food off the floor, un-blackening the grout, and getting the mystery smudge marks off everything. A week later, my arms and legs are sore, I have gone through 3 sponges, a bottle of wall cleaner, a grout brush and a mop, but the apartment is live-able!! YAY!

It finally feels like home. A minimalist home..but that's what this trip is all about, right?

So here are some pictures of the new digs!! Get excited all you future visitors!! (Pls note: we have an extra bedroom - the rumpus room - but it's really messy so there's no pic of it. But I promise we have rooms for guests!!)

The bathroom. I should have shown a picture of my fine handy work on the grout.


The rando 'hallway' from our bed to the balcony


Our sweet bedroom!


Living Room/Dining Room/Parlor/Game Room


Kitchen (complete with my splurge of a Bodum french press). Sorry the picture is dark!


Our first dinner last night! Ironically, David really wanted to cook Indian food...

3 comments:

  1. awwwww You should have shown before and after pix so we could ll coo at a cleaning job well done!

    Looks nice. The rando hallway gives the bedroom a modern posh look - I like it. YAY apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the mood lighting and curry dinner photo with the city lights in the backgound. Must feel good to have finally ARRIVED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about thai curry next time?

    ReplyDelete