Monday, July 26, 2010

My Second Biennale in Two Years!


Last time I attended the Bienalle, I was in Venice, 2006.  Although the Venice Biennale is...in Venice, and the one I went to last time was specifically for architecture, the Sydney Biennale was still very amazing.  Basically, think MoMA meets Alcatraz meets a wintertime high of 70 degrees.  The whole exhibition is set on Cockatoo island which has many old factories and warehouse sheds but used to also house a prison.  The funny bit about it is that they haven't bothered to take out any of the factory fitout so the modern art is juxtoposed with 50s heavy machinery, cranes, boilers, industrial shops, etc.  You've got 5 days to see it, so start planning your vacations now!  I took some pretty cool video while I was there too, and will try to upload it if i get the chance.

Modern Sculpture + Retro Machinery
A life sized Hubble telescope made entirely of plywood
Look Familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment